Tuesday, September 6, 2011

A Little Loneliness Never Hurt Anybody, Right?

Being alone in this huge apartment is very strange. I am sort of conflicted in a way because on one hand, I’m slightly nervous that something bad will happen, and I’ll have no one to turn to for help or support, and on the other hand...well truthfully, its kind of nice. I’ve always been somewhat of a loner, but not to the point of where I don’t like being social. I love spending time with friends, hanging out, going out, traveling with friends, etc., but sometimes I just like having peace and quiet by myself. Now, don’t get me wrong, there’s no way in hell that I can go without interacting with people for more than a day; two days is the absolute maximum, and that’s pushing it, but I honestly am not one of those people who has to have human interaction every single second of the day.

Over the past seven days, I really haven’t been alone as much as I originally thought I would be. I am lucky enough to have friends that live in London, so I was able to hang out with them, and they were kind enough to show me around in some areas, which was absolutely great (excuse the run-on sentence please). When I was alone though, I pretty much just did the things that I normally would have done if I were home alone in NY or LA. I watched my favorite TV shows online, I slept, I cleaned (not as much as I should have, which is why I have a lot of catching up to do today on that one), I shopped a little, I wrote in my journal, and I cooked! The only thing I didn’t do was read. I don’t know why I didn’t read. Its kind of out of character for me, but I just haven’t been in a focused enough mood lately. Even on the tube, I picked up an awful magazine called “The Stylist,” and I tried to read a few articles about feminist issues in the UK (you know, right up my alley), but I just couldn’t get through some of them. I’m guessing it may have been because it was a pretty bad magazine, and they had a lot of information printed that I actually found to be incorrect, and I think it frustrated me. I do have my Kindle though, and I’m going to have a pretty long journey tomorrow from Greenwich all the way to Heathrow to get Mariel and Kristin, so I’m thinking that I’ll just bring that.

Anyway, my lonely period of time has come to an end, and I have to say, although I enjoyed it, I’m not at all sad to see it go. I’m ready to have roommates again, and so excited to get this year rolling.

No comments:

Post a Comment