Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Wanderlust?

    I’ve been pretty obsessive lately about traveling the world, and upon my endless amounts of internet searches for anything travel related, I repeatedly came across the word “wanderlust.” At first, I was like, “What the ____ is that?” But after mulling it over a bit, I came to the conclusion that its a pretty cool sounding word, and I wanted to explore it further.

    “Wanderlust is a strong desire for or impulse to wander or travel and explore the world.” After learning that little tidbit of information from the always helpful Wikipedia, I  came to realize that I actually have an intense case of wanderlust. I can’t decide whether its a good or bad thing though. What causes wanderlust? Is it curable? No matter how much I actually get to travel in life, will I ever get over my wanderlust and be able to settle down?

    I know that the only way I’m going to find out is if I actually begin traveling again, and believe me, I’m definitely working on that, but it makes me sad to think that there’s a slight possibility that I’ll never be able to settle down. It would be pretty cool to become the next Samantha Brown, but I honestly don’t know how much she actually gets to see her family. Its disheartening to believe that I would have to make a choice between family and travel, but it seems that if everyone I love is settled somewhere and I’m going here, there, and everywhere, that I probably won’t get to see them as much as I would like.

    Isn’t there a way that I can have the best of both worlds? Better yet, is there a way that I can make enough money to support myself while having the best of both worlds? Seems like quite the conundrum, if I do say so myself.

    There’s also another issue that’s eating away at my insides, and that is the plain and simple fact that I want to do too many things! I want to be a choreographer, a dance teacher, a writer, a traveler, a travel journalist, a this, a that, a yada yada, blah blah, whatever, there’s so much to do and only so much time in a day! Plus, all of those things are making me zero dollars at this point, which is the exact opposite of what I need to do everything I want to do. I feel like a chicken without a head, running around in circles with one wing and no feathers. Ok, so that doesn’t really make any sense, but I feel like my life doesn’t really make much sense right now either. 

    That’s life in your early 20’s, I guess. Confusion, no money, and a serious case of wanderlust. Fun times. Yes, fun times, indeed.

2 comments:

  1. I have a severe case of Wanderlust too. I think we can cope with it together. As for settling down, I do believe that someday we'll get our fill of travel and settle down somewhere in the world. I don't think our wanderlust will ever fully go away, we'll get relapse episodes here and there, but that's where we'll take our vacations to...everywhere! Hopefully we'll settle down close to each other, but regardless, I'm looking forward to meeting up with each other in random parts of the world! :) Can't wait for the Martina adventures as we cope with wanderlust! Viva wanderlust!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea that anyone even knew about this blog! Yay!

    And yes, I completely agree with you! We should have wanderlust forever and ever together!!!

    ReplyDelete