Thursday, February 16, 2012

Trip 2 of 2012, CZECH! (get it?)

Prague, Czech Republic
I just got back from my trip to Prague, Czech Republic. What an amazing city! It was absolutely beautiful! I mean, it was freezing (a whopping -17 degrees celsius or 1 degree fahrenheit), but awesome anyway, so I can't complain too much. I went with my friend Hannah, who is in my MA Choreography program and she's from Canada. We saw everything from Prague Castle to the Museum of Young Art, which housed some of the most disgusting and bizarre works of art that I have ever seen in my life. When you first walk toward the museum, the you see four giant guns facing each other suspended in the air of a courtyard. Then inside, there are a wide range of images, bloody body bags, dead puppy and kitten carpets, real mouse skin shoes with the heads still attached, and stuffed dead horses. No, I'm not kidding. I wanted to vomit. This, of course, was not the highlight of my trip to Prague, but it was definitely memorable.
Museum of Young Art; Prague, CZ
One of the first striking images when you enter the city of Prague is the architecture. It is so colorful! The city must be absolutely beautiful in the summer as well, but I got to see it covered in snow, which was pretty sweet. The food was really good as well. I don't know why, but I had no idea what kind of food they ate in Czech Republic before I got there, but I was pleasantly surprised when I arrived. The first meal that I ate was potato dumplings stuffed with roasted pork and sauerkraut accompanied by coffee beer! I have never been an adventurous eater, a fan of sauerkraut, or even a beer drinker, but I loved this meal! It was my first, but definitely not my last Czech meal. The next day, I had another Czech specialty, which was fried cheese with tartar sauce. It was literally a block of cheese that was breaded and fried. Now this is something that's always been a favorite of mine, I just had no idea that it was a Czech specialty. Fried cheese, who knew?
Potato dumplings stuffed with roasted pork and sauerkraut
We decided to escape London for Valentine's day and take a trip to Prague, but little did we know that Prague is the stag capital of the world! Appropriate being that we are two single girls, but we still couldn't escape the nauseating images of couples everywhere. There was one particular moment where we were in the chocolate museum and I was in line waiting to get my complimentary hot chocolate and a waffle covered in dark chocolate sauce (oh. my. god.), and the couple in front of me wouldn't stop making out. Its like, please, that's the last thing I wanted to see. Of course, that image of nauseation was soon aided by the image of my very own waffle stick. The hot chocolate was amazing too. They steamed a cup of milk and then they placed a chocolate candy inside and the milk melted the chocolate. It was unbelievable. I wanted to live there in the chocolate museum gift shop. It was so good, that I even lost the urge to kick that couple in their obnoxious faces. Sorry, I'm still a little bitter. But you know what wasn't bitter, the chocolate. It was freakin' sweet!!!
My valentine, the waffle stick. Nauseating couple to my right.
Overall, my trip to Prague was a win! I had so much fun experiencing the culture, seeing the beautiful sights, learning about their history, and getting away from London for a few days. It couldn't have come at a more perfect time. February has never been my favorite month, and nothing's changed this year. Life hasn't been too kind to a best friend of mine, and life in London has changed for me very drastically. Although I am on a high right now from my recent vacation, there still seems to be an underlying sadness within me that I can't seem to shake. I honestly have never felt so alone in London since I first got here. Its a very scary feeling to be alone in a foreign country, and I'm not too sure of how to snap myself out of it. I know I'm not alone because I have some great friends here with me, one even living in the same apartment as me, but I still can't help feeling this way. On top of that, I have so much work to do in the next month, that I get a panic attack and a headache every time I think about it (a.k.a. right now. Taking a moment to breathe). I need to just keep looking at the positive and enjoying all the traveling I'm doing.

It'll be nice being with my parents next week. Its been a rough two months, and I can't believe its already mid-February. Anyway, staying positive! Next week, Scotland!! :)

3 comments:

  1. Also, I definitely laughed at the title of this post. So great ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol I'm SO GLAD someone laughed! At least I'm not the only one who thinks I'm funny!!

    P.S. I miss you! I don't like the apartment without you! BOOO! Hope you're having fun with your dad, though!

    ReplyDelete